Sunday, July 26, 2009

AMAZING VACATION

I have put off blogging about this vacation for a week now, because it was so awesome and just way too much to tell...so feel free to just look at the pictures!
Sunday July 12th we (Me, Flint, Arlee, Ron, Maurine and Tracy) all left for Kansas City. We arrived there and went straight to get some good ol KC BBQ at Arthur Bryant's. It was yummy. Then we went to Independence MO. It was a very interesting place. My favorite (haha) was the 'tower' on top of the "other" churches temple. Ron said it looked like an ice cream cone. Flint called it the 'Tower of Babel'.

After we left there we went to Liberty MO to see Liberty Jail. It was so humbling to see the SMALL room that the Prophet and others were forced to stay in for about 5 months. They couldn't even stand up straight! I cant believe how unfairly treated they were!

After Liberty, we headed to Far West...a much happier place. It was so beautiful there. The temple corner stones are located on a hill that has an amazing view. I can't imagine how sad and frustrated the Saints must have been to be forced from such beautiful land. I could really feel the spirit at the temple site. I'm so glad that we visited Far West.


Our last stop before heading to Nauvoo was Adam-ondi-Ahman. This was definitely one of my favorite places that we visited on our trip. We arrived there just before sunset. It was so beautiful...actually, BEAUTIFUL really just doesn't do it justice. I was speechless. The spirit at Amam-ondi-Ahman was so strong. I read somewhere that Adam-ondi-Ahman means "valley of God" WOW. I could have sat there for hours. I loved being there with Flint.
We arrived in "Beautiful Nauvoo" after midnight we are all so exhausted.
In the flats looking up at the temple


The Nauvoo Temple

The Temple taken at night with the flag. I LOVE this picture!
Monday morning we FIRST went to have breakfast at Elder and Sister Haymore's house. (mom and dad) It was so fun to see them! They are so happy there and it shows!
Then we were off to see all the sites in Nauvoo. Did I say it was beautiful in Nauvoo? Green grass and trees were everywhere. We were busy crazy people while we were there, so we could see all that there was to see. On Tuesday we went to Carthage Jail. It is so hard to put feelings into words...once again I was so amazed at the spirit that is at Carthage. There is such a reverence there. Joseph Smith is a Prophet of God.
That night we went to the pageant. It was spectacular. I wish that I could have seen it a second time. I love that the Temple is in the background of this picture. What a beautiful backdrop!

Maurine, Mom, Arlee and Me at the Women's Garden.

This is a picture of the Temple with statues that depict Joseph and Hyrum leaving Nauvoo for Carthage.

Wednesday we did a session at the Nauvoo Temple. It was such a wonderful experience. Dad and Mom did the session with us (as workers). I LOVED being there with them. Definitely the highlight of my trip. Dad took us to some of his favorite places to see the Mississippi River on Wed afternoon. It is a HUGE river. It is amazing to see the HUGE barges go up and down the river.

I had to say good bye to Mom and Dad that night...but only until Saturday. On Thursday we went to St. Louis. We stopped by Hannibal MO on our way there. We did a Mississippi River boat cruise. It was fun. Hannibal is the home of Mark Twain.

Thursday night we decided to go eat at a restaurant by Busch Stadium. (walking distance to our Hotel) It was called Mike Shannon's. While we were there several of the D-backs came in to eat dinner also. I was so excited I was shaking. I so bad wanted to get my picture takin with them! I finally worked up the courage and I walked up between Brandon Webb and Doug Davis and asked if I could get my picture taken with them. I was so excited and nervous, I felt like I was 14 yrs old again.

Friday morning we went to the famous ARCH. It was crazy tall!

After the arch we went out to see the St. Louis Temple. After seeing the temple we went to get some St. Louis BBQ. We ended up at a restaurant called Ms. Piggy's. It is a long funny story, you can ask me about it sometime...lets just say we were a minority in this neighborhood, the people were so funny and cool to us, and the BBQ was to die for!!! I am so MAD that I didn't get a picture with the owner who called herself as Ms Piggy! After a yummy dinner we headed off to the D-back game. It was fun to go to Busch Stadium, too bad the D-back lost.

Saturday EARLY we got up and headed back to Nauvoo for my nieces wedding. It was neat to be in the temple with my parents again. Dad did the sealing. It was special to be there with my parents, sisters, Ron and Flint. Melindy was a beautiful bride.

Sunday we headed home. I was ready to see my Cooper. I missed him so MUCH while we were gone. I cried myself to sleep on Saturday night, because I just knew that he missed me and needed me! (really he was having the time of his life with Lindsey and the Redwings!!!

It was a trip I will never forget. My testimony was strengthened, we laughed a ton and had a great time...what a great trip!

6 comments:

Chris and Suzette said...

I am soo jealous! What a wonderful vacation! I have really learned to appreciate the joy of a church history vacation. Living in an place where we have been able to visit the PA and NY sites a few times has truly strengthened my testimony in so many ways. I have a great love and respect for the early pioneers. I too know that Joseph Smith was and is a Prophet of God. I know he saw the Father and the Son in the Sacred Grove at 14 years old. I love the Book of Mormon and know it's true and contains the Word of God.

I LOVE the time we have been able to share the trips with our families when they have come to visit. I am grateful that our children have been able to experience the sweetness of the spirit there. It makes the gospel "real" for them. It is a vacation that you will never forget and every time you think back on it, the spirit will again testify of the love our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ has for each one of us.
.

Chris and Suzette said...

Thanks for sharing your trip! The pictures were so fun to see.

Spencer and Marlee said...

Those are some awesome pictures!!! I LOVED reading all the journal part too!! I LOVE Nauvoo. It is such a wonderful place with an amazing spirit. Grandma and Grandpa looked so good and are in heaven. Thanks for the pictures and I can't wait to talk to you about the trip. We went over to Ron's house that Sunday and got to hear about the trip! Sounds like you guys had a great time!

Haymore Family said...

that is so fun! i loved it when i went years ago, i remember going to all those sights it is such a neat place! i hope we get to go before grandma and grandpa get back!

Ammie said...

Wow! What a wonderful vacation! I would love to make that trip sometime. It looks like you had an amazing time. Great pictures!

Kara said...

What a seriously amazing trip! Nauvoo is so beautiful and has the most incredible spirit there. Oh, and how crazy and fun that you ended up at the same restaurant as some of the D-backs! That must have been by inspiration! ;)