Monday, February 23, 2009

EVER FELT OUT OF PLACE???

Before I tell the story of the day, here is a picture of Arlee that the wonderful Kacey took of Arlee. (Kacey is Flint's assistant)
Flint and Kacey took a ton of amazing pics, but you'll have to wait to see them all...

Now for the story of the day
Dale and Amanda came to town to visit and "the boys" (Dale, Flint and Sam)decide that they NEED to go the the skate park in Scottsdale and ride their new 'long boards'...long story short...
Sam gets a 'long board' and tells Flint and Dale (his two OLDER brothers)that he loves his skate board and that they NEED one...so guess who has long boards...Dale and Flint. So we load up the kids and off to the park we go. The boys take off on their boards and Amanda and I hang out at the playground with the kids. We decided to take a walk. Cooper and Joy are riding their scooters and Cooper sees the "bowl" (I learned a lot of new lingo today) and sees all the teenagers skating down into the "bowl" so off he goes, never mind that I am yelling at him to wait for me...So I find myself at the "bowl" watching Cooper and Joy trying to break their necks and after a few minutes I look around... I realized that I just did not fit in!!! There I was an almost 37 year old, white, Mormon, mom with a stroller, laughing my head off at the kids in the bowl. I all of a sudden felt very uncomfortable, I just didn't belong there...and where was my husband...they had skated to the other end of the park. After awhile Flint, Dale and Sam came back and tried out the "bowl" I laugh to myself as I watched and thought, we just don't belong here...my husband and 2 brother in-laws were skating at the skate park, having the time of their lives clueless that all the teenagers where looking at each other wondering...who these "OLD" dudes are? The funniest thing was that Dale was wearing a bright orange shirt that said "RESPECT your elders" We ended the day at Tempe Marketplace and had Chipolte for dinner and a Paradise sugar cookie for desert! YUM!!! I love that Flint loves to be out doors, do fun things and doesn't ever seem to remember that we are getting old. He tells me "You are only as old as you feel" Well honey, I had a baby 4 weeks ago and I feel OLD!!!
We always have a great time when the 'brothers' are together!
Here are a few pictures!
Sam, Dale and Flint with their new loves...

Cooper in the 'BOWL'

No fear and no common sense



Cooper ready to go home, Joy in the background, still going strong

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi how are you..?

www.currypaper.tk

Chris and Suzette said...

I am so laughing out loud! When you said Cooper found a bowl to play in with skater teenagers around, I was afraid that the new term you learned "bowl" was one that is used with illegal narcotic substances that he was playing with. I'm so glad it was just more like an overgrown toilet :) Thanks for the vocab lesson. Love the picture of the skater dudes! My boys would have LOVED to hang there for the day.
Super cute picture of that beautiful little Arlee girl. Can't wait to see the rest. So hard to believe she is already 4 weeks old!

bkbills said...

I totally know what you meen! On Sunday I was teaching a RS lesson and looked at the back row of new mom's and realized, "I no longer fit in that category! My oldest kid is almost 8 and I'm an oldie to these newly married girls." Crazy how we never feel like we've changed, though. That picture of the baby is adorable!

Tommy n DeAnn said...

Oh Jan!!! How did you end up with such a bunch of wierdos? It looks like you had a lot of fun. I wish I was there!

JoykLucyb said...

just to get the story straight I was the first one to get a longboard. dale

Wendy said...

Wow, Jan - I just found your blog and updated myself on your life. Congrats on the beautiful new baby! And that little Cooper is SO CUTE! You are most assuredly the greatest mom! How fun to be able to check up!

Mary Anne said...

first of all...that picture of arlee is completely amazing. i will be down in march for two weeks and need to come meet her. i had a very short visit for a funeral a week or so ago, but just didn't have time to stop by.

second of all...that picture of flint and his two brothers on their long boards is TOTALLY HILARIOUS. they look like the kings of the bowl. oh. my. gosh. i can't stop laughing!

Michelle Woodland said...

What a great picture!! Are we going to get to see some pictures from her baby blessing.

I can't even imagine being on a skateboard...I am so old, not that I was ever that coordinated anyway. ;)